“James Morehead’s canvas opens itself to the poetry of everyday life, where stanzas are etched in sand, and poems end in sunset. Combining micro-narratives of Boston bullies cornering a young boy, with minute descriptions of time in quarantine, it draws us into moving tableaus of tenacious attention to what went down, what might come up, and where we might find ourselves. These are poems to be savored, re-read, kept handy for those times when only poetry will do.”
– W. J. T. Mitchell, Senior Editor, Critical Inquiry and Gaylord Donnelley Distinguished Service Professor, English and Art History, University of Chicago
“Beauty breathes in these debut poems: from the elegant limano to strong silences. Poet, James Morehead is a world traveler who treats readers to excursions that harken back to his alluring title poem, canvas, and other portraits. These memoir poems sing in a universal language.”
– Regina Harris Baiocchi, Author of Indigo Sound, Urban Haiku, and Blues Haiku.
“James creates an enchanting melody of poetic sound for the reader page after page. He notices life’s details with a tender yet precise eye, down to the ‘streets glistening with midnight rain’ and ‘summer bursting outwards / fierce from its slumber.’ Using this keen observation, James breaks past life’s routines to uncover gems of beauty. To read canvas is to be transported to a world infused with meaning and memory.”- Morgan Liphart, author of Barefoot and Running
Gaia Alari (Animator-Director) and James Morehead (Producer, Writer, Narrator) team up to bring the poem “tethered” to life with the magic of traditional animation. The poem is a selection from Morehead’s debut book “canvas”. “tethered” features 2D animation created from 750 drawings.
- Winner – Best Animation (London Web Fest)
- Honorable Mention (One-Reeler Short Film Competition)
- IMDB listing
Where does a poem come from? How does an image, a sound, an emotion, an experience, the spark of an idea, become a poem? The Viewless Wings Poetry Podcast explores the art of poetry, and the business of publishing, through interviews with poets and artists, and special features. Season 1 features interviews with poets including Olivia Gatwood and Regina Harris Baiocchi, artists including Kari Byron and animator-director Gaia Alari, and more. Subscribe today and join me on this journey.
- “That time I was left for dead downstage” (Prometheus Dreaming, Sept 2021)
- “landscape (after bert weir) (“Flee to Spring Anthology”, Wingless Dreamer, August 2021)
In the news
- James Morehead on Doing the Right Thing When No One Else Will (The Write Stuff. Aug, 2021)
- James Morehead To Serve As Dublin, CA Poet Laureate (Patch. June, 2021)
- Painting and Poetry Partnership at Dublin Art Show (Patch. Aug, 2021)
- Book Marketing Case Study—Canvas by James Morehead (AuthorImprints. July 2021)
- How The Pandemic Inspired This Dublin Man To Follow His Dreams (Patch. May, 2021)
- Self-Publishing and Pursuing Passions With Poet James Morehead (Influenster. June, 2021)
- Dublin Author Publishes First Volume of Poetry, Entitled “Canvas” (The Independent. May, 2021)